Sunday, June 19, 2011

happy father's day! (and a redesign project)

I just want to take this moment to shamelessly praise my wonderful dad. He's always been there for me from toddler to now, with a kind word or funny song when I need it! I always enjoy art classes with him and going to the local farmer's market on Sundays. He's put on a patient face at the arsenal of confusing (for guys) cleansers, moisturizers, toners, shampoos, sprays, and cosmetics I employ and the weird outfits I tend to wear. He has no idea how much he means to me.
I love you, Dad. Thanks for being the best!

Now, following with the dad-lovefest, why don't we take this moment to steal all his musty old spare buttons?
You know the type. The ones your grandma hoarded, or spare ones that came with your new shirt, or ones that you have absolutely no idea how they landed on your desk but they're cluttering it up and your OCD is going insane (anybody else like that? No? Then it's just me.). Now I have a project for you to use up all those pesky madness-inducing spare buttons!
The button bracelet.
Found in the crafts stalls of farmers markets or chic vintage stores, I've always been obsessed with the eclectic button bracelet. It adds a vintage, chic edge to any outfit which I always love  (then again I have a love of all things vintage), and it's way easy to make!

Stuff you'll need:

-Old buttons--a range of sizes and colors for interest
-elastic bracelet cord, the kind that comes in bead kits is fine
-scissors

That's it! Let's get started.

1. Arrange your buttons beforehand in the order you want them to appear on your bracelet so you don't go scrambling all over for buttons. Try to vary the sizes and colors for a more carefree look.
 2. Cut a piece of clear elastic long enough to wrap around your wrist twice. Tie a knot at the end and begin weaving the other end through the buttonholes, alternating between the two top ones and two bottom ones.
 4. When you've reached the end of your buttons, try on! Make any adjustments (more buttons, less buttons) and then triple-knot the ends together to secure. Cut off any loose ends and wear!




5. Prance your chic little self around town. Show off your new bracelet.
<3 Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment